How long does disavow take?
Some typical questions are
- Will I get an email notification?
- How long will I have to wait to see the result?
Google will take the disavowed links into account when they crawl them again.
They do not provide you with a confirmation mail.
They only give you a confirmation that you have uploaded the disavow file successfully right after upload. But at this point the disavowing inside the "Google systems" only started.
All the links you disavowed still need to be crawled again by Google bots.
There are several parts involved in the process of disavowing links.
- Identifying all toxic links and domains that you want to disavow in your link audit
- Exporting and Uploading the disavow file to Google Search Console
- Starting Link Detox Boost after 48 hours
- Checking for all links to be crawled by Google as reported by Link Detox Boost, which usually takes a few days instead of months
The effect of disavow can take up to 9 months without Link Detox Boost, as per our observations.
The reason is simply that Google crawls spammy links typically less often than very good links.
So the only thing we know from Google is, that all the links need to be recrawled for the disavow to take effect.
If you hear or read something like "Usually takes a 2-3+ months or more to see an uptick from a link disavow" as in this tweet it is a wrong generalization (like many in SEO)
The 2-3+ months is a totally arbitrary statement which could be too short for am 100M link sites while too long for a 100 link site.
Without Link Detox Boost (BOOST) the effect takes longer
- the bigger the link profile
- the more spammy links are in the link profile and were disavowed
The size of the disavow file has no impact directly, as it's uploaded in an instant to Google.
However the content (and length) of the disavow file is very relevant as it indicates how much crawling is required. The more links disavowed, the more need to be crawled.
The other impacts on time needed to disavow links are as follow
- The process of crawling a complete backlink profile. This can be substantial if you have hundreds of millions of links
- The human work involved in reviewing the system suggestions on which links to disavow. While some SEOs claim that they can decide only by looking at the domain name, this is not recommended for a variety of reasons.
- If the complete backlink audit is deleted or lost has to be redone in a new turn. We always recommend and support to keep a history of all link audits and disavows done in LinkResearchTools.
Created by • Last edit by on Jan 10, 2020