6. Import Backlink Data Files
Table of Contents
LRT uses many different link data sources already, but we always recommend you to upload additional available backlink files.
This way you can improve your results because we will combine and verify any data you upload.
backlink sources files can also be from Google Search Console or even your old link building reports you received from many years ago.
We recommend giving your files meaningful names, including dates.
Please make sure that you upload the file in the right format. We support the formats:
- for custom backlink files: .GZ, .ZIP und .CSV.
- for disavow backlinks files: . CSV und .TXT
If you are unsure how to download your linking pages from the Google Search Console read this.
If you wish to download a disavow file from the Google Search Console, you can read our documentation here.
We support the formats: .GZ, .ZIP and .CSV.
Supported file formats to import backlink data
Currently supported formats with examples files are
- Google Search Console: google-example.csv
- Moz/OpenSiteExplorer: moz-example.csv
- Custom backlinks file: example.csv
- SEMrush files with semicolons: semrush-with-semicolons-example.csv
- SEMrush files without semicolons: semrush-without-semicolons-example.cs
Make sure you download your actual backlink data files from the above 3rd parties.
It sometimes happens that other vendors change their file formats without notice. In this case it's possible that our importer fails. Please contact our customer success team in this case and we'll investigate possible problems with you.
Custom backlink file format
You can give us any number of custom URLs to upload and check for links in a simple custom backlink file format.
If you have data from an unsupported link data source, you can create such a file easily with some work in Excel.
- there's only 1 column (i.e. no columns)
- the first line must say "URL"
- all additional lines must be correct URLs.
Don't worry if some of them cause errors in crawling. Validating that data is our job.
Upload all available data
Common mistakes when importing backlink data
The most common mistakes are:
- Users uploaded their existing link data from Google Search Console into the Link Simulator (LORT). This mode is for simulating “what if you had those links”. When you just want to add more link files, you need to use the Link Profile Audit mode in DTOX.
- Users uploaded a file of “linking domains” from Google Search Console, instead of the “linking pages”.
Created by • Last edit by on Jan 26, 2020